Suffering From Turkey Neck? Consider New Dentures
What is Turkey Neck?
How to Prevent Turkey Neck
If you’re just starting to see the early signs of a turkey neck, you might wonder if there’s anything you can do to prevent it from getting worse. For one, you can remember to apply sunscreen to your neck in addition to your face, every day of the year. Moisturizing your neck and protecting its skin from the sun should be just as important as your face.
Another way to prevent turkey neck from occurring is by taking collagen supplements. Collagen supplements can help fight signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles in addition to other health benefits. Although it may help reduce the signs of aging on your neck, it isn’t a cure.
You can also opt for Botox injections to help keep the skin in your neck tight. If the skin remains tight it won’t sag.
Lastly, if you lose your natural teeth, you can replace them with dental implants or dentures that support your facial structure.
Are Your Dentures Responsible For Your Turkey Neck?
If you’ve already lost your teeth and you wear dentures, it’s entirely possible that your current pair of dentures are to blame for your aging neck. Economy dentures are designed to replace your missing teeth so you can chew food and smile again. They aren’t designed to replace missing bone or support your facial structure. Therefore, wearing economy dentures is a lot like not wearing dentures at all in regards to how it affects your appearance. When your jaw no longer has teeth to support, the bone begins to resorb. As it resorbs, the facial structure begins to sink in as it no longer has support. The face will look sunken in and sagging skin and wrinkles will look more prevalent.
If you noticed your face changing shape after you got dentures, it’s very likely that tooth loss combined with cheap dentures are to blame for your turkey neck.
How to Treat Turkey Neck
There are many different ways to treat a turkey neck from invasive to non-invasive treatments. Here are some of your options:
- Botox® – Botox® is non-invasive and a relatively fast and effective procedure with no recovery time. Results last 3 to 4 months before needing more injections.
- Hyo Neck Lift – This is a new surgery that tightens and smooths the skin on the neck. It reduces or eliminates a sagging neck.
- MST Operation – It’s a minimally invasive technique that tightens the neck skin using barbed threads. The surgery leaves small scars.
- Skin Tightening Laser – This is a non-invasive treatment that uses a laser to heat and tighten the skin. There is no recovery time and the results last 4 to 6 months.
- Z-Plasty – This is a surgery introduced in the 70s that involves a direct excision into the excess skin on the neck for a fast and effective procedure. It does leave a highly visible scar on the back of the neck though.
- Dental Implants – If you have missing teeth, dental implants can help you maintain bone and support your facial structure to prevent loose and sagging skin.
- FOY® Dentures – These dentures use neuromuscular dentistry to provide support to your facial structure to minimize early signs of aging caused by tooth loss.
How FOY® Dentures Can Get Rid of Turkey Neck
If you really want to treat your turkey neck, you need to address the initial cause and if it’s poor quality dentures, you can benefit from a new pair. At èlan Tulsa Cosmetic Dentistry, we offer the Denture Fountain of Youth® which are dentures designed to help you look younger. FOY® Dentures are not just more comfortable and more aesthetic than traditional economy dentures, but they also help you look decades younger with a non-surgical facelift.
We custom design your dentures to fit every curve of your mouth, complement your facial appearance, and help replicate your youthful facial structure. As a result, you will see fewer wrinkles, jowls, and minimize your turkey neck. If you want even more benefits, you can support your FOY® Dentures with dental implants for more security, comfort, and naturalism.
élan Tulsa Cosmetic Dentistry
10031 S Yale Ave #104
Tulsa, OK 74137